Saturday, February 20, 2010

Web 2.0 Award Winners

As I said in my previous post, I am finding all of this web exploration pretty interesting. After surveying the list of award winners in all of the categories, I went to the books section and looked at 2 of the winners. Lulu was first place, and is a site devoted to self-publishing and the marketing of self published books. It was a very detailed site, easy to navigate and very clear in what it was all about- you pay money, download your manuscript and they turn it into a book. They also can turn your photos into a photo album or calendar. You can stop there and just have your creation as your own, or they will market it through the site, and you will receive a portion of the sale price. Judging from the forums and member comments, everyone seems pretty happy with this arrangement. Once again, I am fascinated by this online "community" of people who are linked through their common experience on a web site.
The other site I explored was Biblio.com, a site for finding hard to find and out of print books. I can see great usefulness for this site- there are often books that can not be found in the usual places, that may be located here. It would be a good resource for pricing, too. It was also easy to navigate and very detailed in content.
I was happy to see that many of the sites we have been visiting for this project are award winners- delicious, rollyo, googledocs, and one of my personal favorites- facebook! It wins my prize for biggest time user (waster?!) ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment