Sunday, February 7, 2010

Library Thing and Shelfari

I have "played" on both of these sites and basically have nothing to show for it. I put some recently read books, both adult and kid, on Library Thing and made a list and all. It is nice to find reviews and such, but I tend to go to Follett for all of the reviews I can handle. I think the best feature is the list of related books. In library school I reviewed a database called something like "what should I read now?" It was very handy for finding another book to read- it would link what you already read and liked to similar books. I could really see a use for that in the library, as students are constantly asking for something to read and never seem to like anything I suggest. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find that database again. I think Library Thing would work for that- you can find out the last book the kid did like and suggest the ones that come up on the site. As for Shelfari, once again I saw something on someone else's blog (thank you again, CT!) - a book shelf of book covers with a little link below "get your own. . ." So I went through signing up for that, too, which seems to be a very similar sort of site, and built a 3 book shelf with the books I am currently reading. However, when I sent it to my blog, it just showed up as a link to my shelf, not an actual "shelf." So I deleted it to try again, and now can't seem to get it on at all. I may have to go to LDBell for a tutorial on all of these cool widgets/gadgets! Alas, I must move on to other tasks. I will revisit this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment