Monday, February 22, 2010

I think these are my final thoughts. . . are they?

I think that I am done with all of the exercises for this course, but I am not really sure. I am ready to receive some feedback, and see if there is anything I still need to do. I can say for sure that my mind has been expanded and is about to burst. . . or is it just explode? In order to summarize my experience effectively, I will answer the questions posed in item #10:
What were your favorite exercises or discoveries on this learning journey?
I like my blog. There, I said it. I think it is cute, though I may change it soon, and I enjoy posting on it. Once this is over, I may keep it and just post other random stuff. One of our teachers has a blog for family photos and recipes and musings and it is so interesting to read. I read everyone else's (in our course, I mean) blogs, too. And I click on "next blog" every time I go to any blog, mine or someone else's. I find the whole blogging world fascinating. There are so many creative people out there. And lovely families who want to share their life's journey. I know that this has little or nothing to do with the tasks at hand, but I have discovered a world that I had no idea existed!
I will also continue to use delicious. I really wish I had done this before my last computer was fried and I lost all of my bookmarks. Even though I can live without them, there were some that I know I will never find again. It is like a fire in a storage unit- you don't know what you lost, and it may have been a bunch of junk anyway, but someday you may go to look for it and it is gone. So putting all of my bookmarks on delicious (I know there are dots in the name, but I forget where) is something I will continue to do.
How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
There is so much to learn, it sometimes makes my head hurt just thinking about it! Some of these tasks were frustrating and time consuming, but each brought awareness of some aspect of the technical world that was new to me. I am a reader, and now there is even more to read- blogs and newsfeeds and wikis, oh my! Now I have so many more places to look for what I need to know. Time. Time is the only barrier to ever being finished with one's lifelong learning task!
Were there any take aways or unexpected outcomes that surprised you?
That I was able to figure out how to do things I didn't know how to do. Most of the tasks were things that needed to be puzzled out and figured out and then done. Difficult at times, but now I feel more confident about making the computer do what I want it to do. Surprise! And I didn't expect to like my blog. I like the wikis, and really want to get one set up on my library website. I would love to open up a conversation with students about books and reading.
What could we do to improve upon the program's format or concept?
One word- FEEDBACK!!!!! It would be nice to have comments more frequently. I think maybe submitting each module for critique would be good. I am truly not sure if I am done with this, and await word as to what needs more "tweaking." I guess I am too externally motivated- I need to know that what I am working on is working.
If we offered another program, would you participate?
I think so. . . maybe. . . we will see.
(I do want someone to help me with the wiki thing)
All in all, this project has taken MANY hours. I have spent most of the last several weekends submerged in it. Sometimes that is because I am lost in the online world, other times it is because I am inept and dysfunctional. I hope that I am done, but I will continue to explore. And post.
bye, for now.

2 comments:

  1. Debe,
    It has been a joy to get to know you, too. Feels like we've been on an adventure together. I'm ready to go on the next one if you are; I'll keep my bags packed.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debe,

    Your blog does look awesome...and I HAVE tried to provide feedback/comments to folks as they have gone through the program...just to let you know I'm paying attention.

    So glad that you did learn a few things and are excited about them and how they can be used in the library and classroom.

    Give yourself some credit...you did a fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete